Tortoise and Hare’s from “Zilch to 5k” program is designed to introduce (or reintroduce) people to the sport of running fitness as a lifelong activity and prepare them to complete a 5k race at their own pace and injury free! We will get you in tiptop shape for a mid June to mid July 5k. Please note that the race registration is not included in the running program price.
Group running is one of the best ways to get started. Not only will you make some great friends, you’ll also have the support of Eve Stein, the back of the pack patient running trainer who is a certified coach with 20 years of coaching experience in running, Nordic skiing, and tennis. In addition, you will have fellow beginning runners who will encourage and motivate you as enter the awesome world of running.
We will offer 2 runs per week in the West Duluth area at locations such as the Morgan Park track, Munger trail, Western Waterfront Trail and the Public School Stadium track. A full schedule will be handed out during our Introduction night that includes workouts for the entire week. Meetings will include easing into running with a walk/run program that allows you to participate at your own pace, safe stretching, core, and other strengthening exercises. Everyone’s individual abilities will be taken into account and your coach will make sure that you are within your comfort zone so you have a safe positive experience!
Participants are not expected to be at every run; however, to get the most out of the class doing the suggested workout for the day would be beneficial. The back of the Pack coach will be at all of the runs to follow along with the class participants and no one will ever have to run alone. Our first meeting is Tuesday April 10th , 7pm at Tortoise and Hair Footwear store. We will not be running on the first day because it will be an intro and informational meeting where you can try on shoes and clothing with no pressure to purchase and get information on what might work best for you. This meeting is for registered participants only. We will not have on-site registration at this time. Contact us to register today.
Early registration, by April 1st, enters your name in a drawing to win a $25 gift certificate from Tortoise & Hare.
First meeting date: April 10th, 7pm at Tortoise and Hare
- 10-week training plan
- 2 Group Runs each week for 10 Weeks
- Unlimited Access to an Experienced coach
- Training Schedule and Informational Handouts
- Drawings and discounts
- Technical shirt
- 20% off coupon for 1 purchase at Tortoise and Hare Footwear.
- Weekly motivational emails
Upcoming events idea for motivation
- William A Irvin 5k on Friday night June 15th. You can run for Kevin Peterson who is on the Grandma’s Board and has Pancreatic cancer in this race too. Registration for the 2012 race opens March 15th and will close quickly.
- Midnight Sun Run 5k This event takes place at Midnight on June 22nd. This event fills quickly.
- The Sidewalk Shuffle 5k is a weekday noon event the second week of July.
- The Park Point 5 MILER is Friday July 20th at 6:30pm.